At VisionLab, we want the technology you use, to be fit for purpose, provide the longest lifespan possible, and be the best value for money.
As with any item of value you purchase, the price of a computer is indicative of how it will perform and how long you expect the device to last.
We recommend that you take time to consider your decision before purchasing the right laptop for your business, and review the following:
- What is your budget?
- What operating system works best for your business?
- What environment do you work in?
- Are there specific technical requirements?
What is your budget?
The way your business functions and the systems you implement, may require specific technology. So, what role is the device being used for? Does this allow the staff member to complete tasks efficiently?
Something to consider: a member of your support staff may not have the same device requirements, that someone in your technical team needs (e.g. CAD software, Video Software, Graphics Card etc.) , so ‘one size does not always fit all’.
What Operating System Works Best For you?
Another area to consider is the operating system that will work best for your business. Windows, MacOS, or do you need a combination of both?
The benefit of working with only one operating system and remaining loyal to only a couple of different brands, means you can keep warranty, maintenance and updating of all devices across the business simple.
Fans of the Windows operating system, will find the best ‘business grade’ brands currently available in New Zealand for your business are:
VisionLab support these brands due to:
- The good warranty and support business clients are offered.
- The device drivers are tested and certified by Microsoft (Drivers are files that tell a piece of hardware how to function by talking to the computers operating system).
- The hardware is standardised across each model of the HP, Dell and Lenovo ranges. By using the same components, it creates more control over the issues a specific model may be having, allowing failures to be pinpointed quicker and rectified.
What environment do you work in?
It is important to understand the environment that you will require the device to operate in. So to begin with, ask yourself, what role will the device need to perform for your business:
- Does the device stay on the office desk or is it moved from work to home?
- Is a docking station required for ease of set up at work or home?
- Is the device always out onsite – therefore a Toughbook may work better?
- Are tablets better options than laptops?
- Do you require 4G capability? Therefore, a sim option is a must to connect to the internet when you are working offsite.
Are there specific technical requirements to look for?
Business level computers have a general lifespan of 3 years. We like to see our clients generally getting 3-5 years out of this grade of computer.
Computers with lower specs reach a point where they do not have the resources to keep up with the new updates from Windows and other online programs, so over a couple of years the user experience becomes affected.
When you purchase a new computer, focus on the best business grade option available at the time.
For example: Computers being used for administration tasks need to cope with a normal 8-hour day, providing fast and reliable service, so look for the minimum specs of:
- Intel i5 latest generation
- Minimum 8gb RAM
- Minimum of 250gb SSD hard drive
- Good connectivity and ports which include HDMI, USB-C and Ethernet
- A warranty of 1-3 years
- A screen which is anti-glare for outdoor use
- Chose a screen size that suit the movement of the laptop. A 13.3” laptop is easier to transport than a 17.3”
- Windows 10/11 Pro will have better integration with Microsoft 365
Note: Devices required to run specific programs will have certain additional performance requirements that fall outside the standard requirements listed above.
TIP: When a laptop is with a staff member 24/7, think about purchasing a second power pack – one to leave at the office and the other one to be kept in the laptop bag, then your staff member is never caught out.
Technology constantly provides new and innovative ways of improving the way we work. By investing and implementing the right hardware and software, your business will continue evolving. Talk to us today.